Tuesday 1 September 2015

Aviemore Triathlon 'Long Hard Durty'



In we go! Loch Morlich

Summer has been and gone, although I am not sure that it ever really showed up this year. After a lovely busy summer with my family, what was up next? Durty Events http://www.durtyevents.com/ off road triathlon in Aviemore was bouncing around in the back of my mind, they would host the Scottish Championship Race this year. I really wanted to do this, put myself in a field of racers with whom I can only ever aspire to and be inspired by. I believe this is how we can improve our own ability. Last year I took part in the Short Fast version of the event and looking back it was the event that I enjoyed most from 2014. There is something about Triathlon that grabs me. The challenge of trying to be good at three disciplines, we will all have one that is our strength so we are a third of the way there already. I competed as a club swimmer in my youth so the swim part did not worry me, mountain biking is what I love but then running....... this was far from my first love in the sports department. But of course, I can run, everyone can! However, after making good progress with my running over the winter it came to an abrupt hault when I picked up a knee injury back in Feb which still bothers me at times. Andrew at Moray Physiotherapy http://www.physiotherapy-moray.com/ set me on my way after a series of sessions in the clinic with a programme of strengthening exercises. Off I went  armed with this knowledge combined with the core and strength exercises that I had learned the importance of from a block of training with Dave at http://www.powneypt.co.uk/  I began to work on the slow process of getting back to running again.

On holiday in France I started off with slow jogging and built up from there. I took part in the local Jean Carr Hill Race in July.  I made it round, not at any great speed but getting round was good news and meant that the Aviemore Triathlon would perhaps be a possibility now.

Two weeks before the event I messaged Paul from Durty events to find out if I needed a race licence to take part in the Long Hard Durty. The answer was that I only needed a licence to contest for a Scottish Championship Spot (indeed this was not on my agenda) otherwise just come on in was the response! That is what I love about these events, the relaxed, welcoming vibe that they put across. I put my entry in that same day. 1500m swim, 18km technical mountain bike, 9km trail run. I can do this!

Race day came around quickly and although not worried about my swimming ability,I did start to panic about surviving the temperature of Loch Morlich which the previous year had been particularly cold. I had to stay in the water for twice as long this year. It was all I could think about on the journey through in the car. The kids, who came through for the day armed with their bikes and helmets were a welcome distraction.

Before I knew it I was lined up on the shore of Loch Morlich with lots of men towering above me. Trying not to be put off by this, in I got to a very bearable water temperature of 15 degrees.The hooter sounded and off I went with I think about 100 swimmers.


Off we go!
 
 
As ever the start of the swim felt a little daunting, quick pace to start off with, arms flapping everywhere with swimmers fighting for position, soon everyone settled into a rhythm and I found myself sitting around mid pack. I could see  a line of swimmers in front of me and also behind. I felt comfortable with this and enjoyed the swim round two laps set out in beautiful Loch Morlich.
 
Swim complete, I stumbled my way out of the water across the slippy stones and made my way to transition one where the bikes were racked. Remembering how slow I had been in transition last year, mostly due to the cold, I stripped off my wetsuit as fast as I could, bike shoes and helmet on and off I went. The bike route headed towards Glenmore Lodge with the first part consisting of a couple of loops of mainly forest track then after that into the real mountain biking on the single track behind Badaguish locally know as the Canadian Trails. Tough, steep, slippy rooty climbs where if you came off it was impossible to get back on. This meant a push up for many, including myself on parts. This was followed by steep, rocky, rooty, boggy and challenging descents where there was little opportunity to overtake, it was a case of letting my wheels roll and keeping my feet clipped into my pedals. I did not have time to recce the trails beforehand but was pleased to conquer the descents on some fantastic bike trails that were new to me.
 
Bike section finished and onto the run, the part that I most feared. For me this would be a case of simply surviving it as my run training had been minimal. We headed off on the out and back route of the run. This started off out along the fire road and cut off onto some lovely single track, back onto a fire road which would take us up the 'Sluggan' I kept pushing on up and up then continued up to the left onto landrover track, up and up,it seemed to go on forever. The faster runners already flying down the descent while we slogged up and onwards. Now nearly at what I thought was the top in the distance I saw the runners ahead fumbling there way down from the Cairn at the top. This was a steep scramble through the heather to get to the Cairn. It was a laugh or cry moment! Up I went, relieved to reach the Cairn and start going down! Although going down, the second half of the run felt hard and punishing, I was tired but kept it going back to the finish line with lots of encouragement from runners still going up and also those making there way down.
 
 
The welcome sight of the finish line! I did it!
 
 
The last small section involved following tapes hanging from trees, proper trail running through the trees. I recognised this from last year and knew the finish was in sight. I did it! For me, taking part and completing this race was the result of over coming an obstacle that had been thrown in my way. Something we all come across in our day to day lives as well as in sport. I finished which was my main aim and was 5th place Female Senior in the Long Hard Durty http://www.durtytiming.com/race-results.html I will hold my head up high and be proud of that! Would I do it all again? YES I WOULD. I would recommend that everyone signs up to a Durty Event! They are fantastic! Thank you to Durty Events and to all involved in  putting on a great event.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Magnus enjoying Badaguish
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 





 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment