Wednesday 17 December 2014

And Breathe!

Santa Lists. Christmas Shopping. Card Making. Santa Shopping. Party Outfits. Parties. Baking. Christmas Fair. Football. 'Fit Fun' For Tots Classes. Boy's Brigade. Swimming Lessons. Swimming Teaching. Hair Appointments. Last minute additions to Santa lists. All of which can otherwise be known as the pre Christmas Chaos.....and of course in there is some training too!


My amazing trouble x2
Today I had a moment in amongst the much loved pre Christmas chaos and found myself reflecting on my journey this year. As ever there has been a mix of success and failure as well as highs and lows. Amazing people and sadly some not so, social media sadly is a playground for bullies. In life we take the good with the bad, I like to focus on the good and thankfully it out weighs the bad.

This was the first year that I focused on taking part in some events after having managed to train regularly over the winter. Admittedly with not much of a plan but just getting out when I could. On the agenda was a couple of mountain biking events and the Aviemore Triathlon (my first open water one). I was excited about Triathlon as having swam competitively when I was younger it made sense to give it a go and combine my swimming skills with my love for biking and my need to improve on running!

The year started off well with the local Rock and Road Event. An 80km mountain bike race with a mix of mountains, roads and a bit of hike a bike thrown in too. I was hoarse on the morning but thought I would give it a bash anyway. I battled my way round with a couple of mud tantrums and was delighted to be the first female home.

This turned into a low, I now had the inconvenience of bronchitis which completely floored me for 7 weeks and I had to pull out of 10 Under The Ben which was the next event on the agenda. Gutted was an under statement as my training over the winter had focused on trying out the race solo. Not to worry there was always another year.

There were more important goings on, one of which felt like perhaps my ultimate fail of this year. I applied for my old job as an Active Schools Co-Ordinator. Daisy was all set for starting big school so the timing could not have been better. That is if I had been successful. I was outscored. Whatever that may mean in amongst council politics. It certainly felt slightly mortifying at the time. I did however know that Mr Square from HR had no intention of giving me the job in the interview!

Moving on and next up would see me waving off Daisy to big school. A huge day! I felt strangely numb waving her off to discover her new found independence. My full time job was now in part done. For four and a half years I had put my work to the side and focused on bringing up my family alongside working a small part time business of active games classes for tots around it. What now I thought to myself? It is hard for mum's who have taken a break from work to be accepted back into the world of work. I am looking into fitting in my PGCE at some point in the future when time allows and combine my passion of working with kids with a career.

I focused on some more training and I found a little bit of success at local events, Aviemore Triathlon and also Petal Power's Ride Like a Girl event finishing first in both. Then, perhaps the highlight of the year came along when my best friend Michelle suggested I apply for sponsorship with http://flareclothingco.com/ I was delighted when Hannah e-mailed and said she would like me to join the Flare Team of Riders for 2015. I was a little stunned to be surrounded by such an incredibly talented and inspiring bunch of girls!


Aviemore Triathlon Short Fast Durty 2014
As a result of joining the Flare Team, last month I had the pleasure of meeting and riding with the lovely Nienke Oostra. Nienke is a seasoned athlete so I felt a little nervous setting off to meet her to ride Burma Road in Aviemore, it was a fabulous day out with an epic climb! I have found a positive source of inspiration in Nienke and also some much needed help and tips on training and planning. I am really grateful that Nienke has offered to help me. In amongst the chaos Nienke has made me realise that there is time to train. Suddenly I have a plan, not always one I can stick to but I am embracing winter training and also really looking forward to achieving some personal goals in 2015.

So there it is, that turned into more than a moment! I have finished two cups of tea and I am all set to see Santa visit the kids at school and then off to swimming lessons.

Wishing you all health, happiness and good times over the festive season.

Biking Hugs

Kerry x

No comments:

Post a Comment