Tuesday 3 March 2015

'Down but not Out'

Hello! So, February has been a mixed bag for me. I started off with a spring in my step, full of enthusiasm as I decided on what fab combination of kit to order from Flare http://flareclothingco.com/collections/new-products for my team kit this season. I have gone for Teal. I can not wait for it to arrive! With my name on the back eeeek. Feeling excited and a teeny bit proud to be part of such a great team of girls. Anxious to get going, have some fun and race alongside some of the team and perform the best that I can.
 
 
In order to set me up for the events I am continuing to train with the help of schedules from Nienke Oostra, an experienced athlete on the team who selflessly shares her knowledge and skills. I have also started a programme with a great PT Dave Powney http://www.powneypt.co.uk/ focusing on core and strength exercises that will transfer onto my bike and benefit me during triathlon. Having suffered from Diastasis Recti during Pregnancy my core is an area that needs some work as is my general overall strength. I am quite a skinny bean so the ultimate aim is to build up and gain lean muscle to make me stronger and hopefully faster. It is hard work but I am thoroughly enjoying the sessions and already after a short space of time I am beginning to feel the  benefits. I do not have the lower back pain that I would normally feel on a longer ride and physically feel a lot stronger.  Dave has made me realise the importance of good form when working out as well as the importance of fuelling my body correctly. I am looking forward to seeing the results when I start racing this year. Look out for the before and after pictures in the future!
 
As ever when on a high a low surfaces. Disaster struck, well it felt like a disaster for me but on the grand scheme of things looking at what goes on in the world I guess it does perhaps seem fairly minor in comparison. I had to pull up half way through a run and hobble home. In a lot of pain I knew that this did not feel good. Having made huge progress with my running over the winter I am now into my second week of hobbling around with damaged hamstrings. A hard pill to swallow when the physiotherapist told me today that I would not run for at least six weeks and gave me a walking stick! Gutted! While I am aware that I am not competing for the Olympics this feels like a huge personal blow before the season has even started.
 
What now? Well I have been in the swimming pool most days and plan to be back on the bike and in the gym before I can run so hope to maintain some sort of form and fitness. The start of the year looks to be slow but once I am back up to speed I will give my best at the forthcoming events!
Mummy and Daisy ready to party
Perfect cake for a five year old princess
Finishing with the highlight of the month for me, my beautiful baby girl turned five. We celebrated in style with friends and family, lots of yummy treats and a simply wonderful Frozen birthday cake! There we have it, in a brief moment a low turns into a high again!
 
See you all soon
 
Kerry x
 
 
 










 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment